Communicate your brand online: A how-to guide
When you’re building a brand, you don’t have the luxury that established brands do where customers and clients instantly recognize and recall what service or product you provide just by seeing your logo or homepage. You need to work a little harder to communicate your brand online - your “what am I?” message, which is why branding is such a key piece of the journey to success for any small business or startup.
Action Steps on Branding
If you worry your current branding might be holding you back from reaching the next level, here are some key questions to ask yourself before you dig into making any changes:
- Who is your target audience?
- What do you want your target audience to DO when they arrive on your website or come across your social media. Do you want them to shop, book, sign up or contact you? Or perhaps complete another action?
- What problem do you solve for your target audience? How do you create content to explain how you solve their problems?
- What do you want your target audience to THINK or FEEL about your brand when they come across your website or social media? Do you want them to be entertained, persuaded, impressed, reassured or excited?
Write down a few notes about each question without looking at your website or social media feed. Then take a good hard look at your site and ask yourself the following:
- Does my logo and website appeal to my target audience? Can they tell “this is for me!”?
- Is it clear what actions you want people to take on your website with a minimum of clicks? If you are an e-commerce store, can someone see what your bestselling items or new arrivals are, within one or two clicks? If you want people to watch a video, is it embedded in your homepage “above the fold”? If you need someone to give you their email address, are you making them fill in unnecessary details which might make them less inclined to finish the process?
- Does the content you create on your blog or social media explain how you solve problems and make life easier for your customers and clients? It’s all very well posting cute pictures, but is there a thread (every second or third post) which speaks to what you actually do?
- Do your look, tone and feel work together to tell the story you want it to?
Your website should be the number one conversion tool for your business – the good news is that if you feel like you’re currently falling down in one or more of the areas above, they are relatively simple to start correcting. A redesign might help, but the good news is that many issues can be vastly improved by you directly.
How We Can Help
If you’d like to learn more about how to take action to improve your branding or website, sign up for our newsletter today, and receive our tips and tricks, as well as following along our Branding 101 series.
If you would like an impartial eye to assess your current branding, and to run through the above process with you either in person or Skype, our Branding Consultation is the right choice for you. For just SGD195, we’ll offer our expert opinion and easy actionable improvement steps, targeted to your business’s needs. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.